Over the last month I have heard from many of you concerning the magazine index. The comments and suggestions are appreciated. I have been working hard at making changes to the database over the last couple of weeks and today I am releasing the new version. When you go to the magazine index you will notice a lot of changes. Some are just cosmetic to make it look better but others are structural changes that will make it easier to implement some of the new features and improvements that have been suggested.
Here are some of the changes that have been made:
Quicker/Easier Access: Instead of placing the Article and Issues list on two separate pages they are now both on one page and accessible by clicking on the appropriate tab for the list you wish to see.
Popup graphics: The issue list has always had a thumbnail picture of the cover, now if you click on the thumbnail a larger version of it will appear on your screen. Just click the X in the upper corner to close it and return to the list.
Improved Searching: The search ability has several improvements. For fields that have a limited choice (e.g. Month, Year, Section, Author, etc) there is now a drop down list of available choices to search for. Search speed is greatly increased.
- Better looking – The original was very basic.
- Improved resizing ability – If you want to adjust the size of the list to make it easier to read or fit your screen better, you can hold down the Ctrl key and use your mouse wheel to adjust the size. (this works on most websites)
- Resizable Columns – Many of the columns can have their width adjusted to suit your needs. Just click and drag on the vertical line between two columns.
- Ready for the future – A lot of the changes made were internal structural changes to the database to allow us to add future features.
- Improved sorting – Faster sorting
Article Tags: Article tagging would improve the search results. Currently if the article is titled “Fine tuning your 92FS” then a search for Beretta would not locate that article. If I tag the article with the keywords: Beretta, Handgun, 9MM, and Semi-Auto then a search for any of the words in the title or any of the tag words will pull up that article in the search results.
I own that issue: I will have to come up with a better term for this but the basic concept is to give you the ability to check off all of the issues that you currently have in your library. That way when your search results are listed the article or issues that you currently have in your library will be highlighted to let you know that you own that issue.
If you have any comments on the changes I’ve made or want to submit a suggestion then please leave a comment in the box below.
P.S. Please support the website by clicking on one of the sponsor ads, it helps cover the costs of developing and hosting this site.